Monday 28 April 2014

Reflections Film making the film / Evaluation



The Idea


When hearing about the project at first I was quite excited, the aspect of experimentation for this project really fascinated me, so for my idea I really wanted to attack it in a non conventional manner and try and make it unique and powerful, after watching many films I came to the conclusion that I wanted to create a film that was told through the use of sounds and typography. Using text has always been difficult and is not my strong suite so I wanted this to be the perfect opportunity to help develop that weakness. 


My Role

For this project I was the Director, this in actual fact was my first opportunity being a Director and managing a team of people, so it was quite exiting for me. I think the communication between my and my team could of been a lot better, as the Director I need to ensure that my vision is clearly communicated across to my team. I wanted to ensure that as a team we all stay informed and everyone is in the know and most importantly everyone contributed. It was a quite interesting experience working with friends, I learned that it is very important trying to establish a working and professional environment when filming and keeping that separate from your friendships, because it can be difficult to work with a friend who isn't performing. But it definitely is a great experience that I have learned from, I think I can only go up from here.   


Pre production

With the pre production process I wanted give everyone there own job which they can work on just to make things move a lot more efficiently. Everything done was then uploaded on to a group facebook page which I created so that everyone knows exactly whats going and what is happening next. One thing I can say is that we definitely underestimated how realistic our shooting schedule would be, when filming we done quite a few re shoots due to some technical issues. However apart from that we kept to our pre production schedule quite well, everyone had a job to do and stuck to it.


Conclusion 


This have definitely been marked as a learning experience, this film had a lot of potential to be something great, however due to poor planning and lack of communication during the post production stage of making the film, the outcome does not reflect the initial idea at all, which really is a shame. I have learned that being critical when planning is crucial and can make or break a film, also ensuring that communication is consistently maintained throughout all stages of the film, this was my vision my idea and as my role as the Director I have failed to get that vision across, but like I said before this is a learning experience so I need to take from I experienced here and improve from it.  


key points to learn from
  • Improve verbal communications 
  • be more critical and pay more attention to detail when planning 
  • Be more assertive and also flexible 























No comments:

Post a Comment